Author: Tabatha Weiner
What is PrestaShop?
PrestaShop is more of an E-commerce shopping cart Software (open source) which is applicable in the ear of Web 2.0. The software has been written in PHP and is available free of cost. The software is considered as the best for all those individuals who want to indulge in Online Business.
The installation of PrestaShop is very easy as compared to some of the other E-commerce solutions that are available out there. Some technical requirements of PrestaShop are Linux, PHP5 and MySQL 5.
1. Major Benefits
Some of the benefits which are associated with PrestaShop are as follows
- The administration panel of this software is very flexible which means that customization can be done. The functionality of the Ecommerce store can be done with ease as per the customer need
- Despite of slow internet service, you can easily use PrestaShop.
- There is no shortage of Themes in PrestaShop. The themes can be modified as well
- You can get your website hosted on the enterprise’s server. This will actually help you increase your search engine traffic
- When you need to export your orders from your Prestashop website, you will find it’s easily to export orders Prestashop to CSV, Excel or XML using many Prestashop export modules available on Prestashop addons marketplace.
- If you need to synchronize your website with an email marketing service such as Mailchimp, Prestashop mailchimp integration can also be done by installing external modules without any coding knowledge.
Just like any other artificial product there are certain disadvantages as well which are associated with PrestaShop, some of these disadvantages have been stated in the points below
- PrestaShop lacks when it comes to multiple user interface. This means that the software is virtually effective for only medium and small enterprises
- The modules which are necessary for the effective functioning of the online store are pretty expensive
- As compared to other Ecommerce platforms which are available, PrestaShop lacks in some significant features.
Despite of the mentioned disadvantages, PrestaShop is still easy to use software. If you are someone who quickly wants to begin his online shopping then PrestaShop is the ideal solution for you.
PrestaShop has already proven its worth to the market and perhaps this is the reason why it has gained high popularity in the market as compared to some other solutions out there. The layout of PrestaShop can be altered easily and overall the software is technically sophisticated, equipped with functionality which is advanced in nature.
Just like any other software solution which is available out there, there are various versions which are available with respect to PrestaShop as well. The PrestaShop 1.6X is also one of the versions of PrestaShop. There are many people out there who are using PrestaShop 1.6.X nowadays however the common problem which these people face is with the editing of its Front Page.
Here we will briefly explain to you some of the basic steps which you can follow in order to edit your front page in PrestaShop 1.6.x
- The majority of the modules that exist in the homepage of your site have modules which are corresponding in nature. You can change, remove or add the text or links in the PrestaShop admin panel by getting your modules managed.
- The category menu is home to all the categories that exist in your store. Go to Catalog > Categories tab if you want to modify categories menu.
- Consider “Modules > Modules > “Image slider for your homepage” if you want manage the slider.
- The products can be modified under “Catalog > Products” Tab. You need to alter the product module settings if you want to alter the number of items or products that are displayed on the home page.
Yes the information given above can be technical for you, however click the video links which we have mentioned above. These video links will serve as tutorials for you and through them you can easily learn about Front Page editing of PrestaShop 1.6.X.
If you still find things difficult then do not worry as there are many technical people out there who are experts in PrestaShop hence all you need to do is to contact these people as they will do all the hard work for you in exchange of some fee.
We hope that above discourse will serve as a rich source of information for you.
The advancement of technology has contributed to the development of Ecommerce websites. Companies today simply cannot afford to ignore their online presence. Ecommerce sites are a great source of convenience for customers as through these sites they can purchase their required product or service with ease from their desktop or smartphone.
To manage an Ecommerce site you need an Ecommerce solution as well. There are many such solutions that are available nowadays such as OsCommerce, Magento and PrestaShop etc. we will focus our discussion on PrestaShop in this article. We will try to learn about this software and will conclude this discourse by sharing with you guys its front page menu customization technique.
PrestaShop: A Brief Insight
PrestaShop is open source Ecommerce solution which was launched back in the year 2007. The purpose behind the development of this software was to facilitate the development of Ecommerce for small businesses at a cost which is affordable.
The powerful and most trusted PrestaShop modules to help you improve your online store function. With PrestaShop, you can enjoy a lot of professional themes and advanced modules.
PrestaShop gets published under OSL. The language of this software is PHP. Today the software is utilized in around 250,000 shops of the globe. The software is available in around 60 different types of languages.
2. History of PrestaShop
PrestaShop basically started as a student project back in the year 2005. The EPITECH IT School in Paris (France) is the one which has the privilege of introducing PrestaShop to the world. Initially PrestaShop was home to two languages i.e. French and English.
Just three months after its development, thirteen other languages were also added in the software. In the year 2007, PrestaShop SA was established by Bruno Lévêque and Igor Schlumberger. In the year 2012 the company made good progress and its employee force went from seventeen to hundred.
Today PrestaShop has more the 120 employees with offices in six different countries of the world
3. Key Features
PrestaShop is home to more than 300 built in features. Most of these features are related to the management of payments, suppliers, manufactures and product listing. The web template system of PrestaShop allows you as a user to add new features and customize store themes. Some major features of PrestaShop are as follows
- A responsive theme is provided by PrestaShop via default. As a user you can develop or install your own themes. The themes can change the website display without making any alteration in the website content
- The add-on modules have the ability to extend the built-in functionalities of the software. As a user you can directly install the software module within the administration panel.
- Blog can be easily integrated to your Prestashop website, there are many blog modules for Prestashop available on Prestashop marketplace. It helps you enable a blog section for your e-commerce website where you can post articles about your products and services to valued customers.
There are many advantages which are associated with PrestaShop. Here we will list some of the major ones for you:
- The customization PrestaShop is unique and the software can take care of any business requirement without any trouble
- The customization of admin panel is very easy in PrestaShop
- The number of themes in PrestaShop are plenty and the good part is that most of these themes are free of cost
- PrestaShop is very fast install even if the internet speed is not optimum
- Attractive user interface becomes a reality via PrestaShop
- Online shopping cart can easily developed via PrestaShop
PrestaShop 1.6 and its customization
PrestaShop 1.6 is a popular version of PrestaShop. If you are someone who does not have any idea of PrestaShop 1.6 then changing its front page menu will be difficult for you. Just like other systems, the PrestaShop 1.6 also utilizes modules which are very much there in the online shop.
For customization what you need to know is your “Top Horizontal Menu module”. Knowing the Horizontal Menu will help you in customizing it as per you need.
1. How to edit the Top Horizontal Menu module
- First of all get yourself logged in PrestaShop 1.6 (administrator back office). On the left side you will find Modules Link, click it!
- Next, click the search field; once clicked, search for the menu
- You will notice the appearance of “Prestashop mega menu”. Finally click the button (configure) located on the right
2. Get the Menu Customized
After the following the above steps things will become very easy for you. Now all you need to do is to add the elements which are available in the items pane. The elements should be added in the items pane which you have selected. Move the elements down and up so that they may match with your ordering requirements. This will alter the appearance of Main Menu on the Front Page.
This was just a brief highlight on how you can actually customize the Front Page Menu. If you want to learn more about the topic then consider making some more research on the internet. There must be many videos and tutorials available on the topic.
More and more people have started to develop new and improved websites, for this they need to get help from a reliable hosting company. Hosting companies are something that help give your website a platform to stand on and build an online empire (if that’s what you want). However, over the years hosting companies have undergone many changes and one of the biggest changes is that many of these companies have dropped support for FrontPage server extensions. Others who have not yet dropped this compatibility option are likely to do so very soon.
So, if you are still using FrontPage for your website then you should consider moving to a more compatible web editor. One of the best editors nowadays is Expression Web. However, you should not be hasty in making the migration because Expression Web is very different from FrontPage and there are many things that you should know about it.
How To Do It?
Now let’s move on the actual moving part, all you need to do is follow some simple steps and you shall be good to go.
Before you do anything, the first thing that you need to do is make several backups of your website. This is just a security measure because if you mess up your website during the migration then you will have some place to start fresh. Many people tend to ignore this step and it costs them a lot. Don’t be ashamed if you are not able to make a successful migration in the first try because it is all part of the learning process.
2. Remove Unwanted Material
There is a good enough chance that your website might have collected some extra images, scripts or pages over the years. This is the kind of material that is no longer in use that is why there is no point in moving all of this unwanted material. It is always a good idea to clean up this clutter because it will clear up some important space and even if you ever do need to reuse these scraps you can always go to the backup file and scavenge the material from there.
3. Remove FrontPage Themes And Shared Borders
When you are removing the FrontPage themes and shared borders from your website then it is advisable that you should use the FrontPage software to do so. This is because it will be easier to do so from a familiar software so that you do not damage your website.
The process of migrating from FrontPage to expression web, we can Customize the Front Page Menu on a PrestaShop website.
To see if your website uses a FrontPage theme or shared borders just look for a line of code that looks like “<meta name=”Microsoft Theme” content=”aftrnoon 1011″>” or “<meta name=”Microsoft Border” content=”tlrb”>” respectively. After that just fire up FrontPage and delete the theme or shared border by selecting the right options.
You should also remove the FrontPage folders. Some of the most common folders for FrontPage are:
4. Replace Bots
If you have used FrontPage bots in your website then it is a good idea to get rid of these bots as they will not translate properly on Expression Web. For example, if you have used a search bot then you should consider replacing it with a free search bar that does not display a lot of ads on every search. Some of the best sources for search bots are:
- Search Boxes
- Zoom Search and Expression Web
If you use FrontPage Photo Gallery on your website then you can use a random photo album generator in its place. Some of the recommended photo generators are Web Album Generator and jAlbum. Table of contents can be replaced with a site map. You can do this just by deleting the old table and creating a new page name “site-map.html”.
After you have completed all the above mentioned steps that you can begin implementing the new Dynamic Web Template or DWT. You will have to purchase this DWT and before you do anything you should first learn and understand how this template works.
These were some of the most important things that you should know about FrontPage and Expression Web especially if you are choosing to migrate. If you do not follow the above mentioned steps properly then the whole process of migration will become very difficult for you.
Quickly and easily use Microsoft Draw and Microsoft Chart components in Frontpage 2000 and 2002 as images! (XZAKT Media is not responsible for the Microsoft Office components being installed or any errors/usage issues of the Microsoft Office components)
Beside use Microsoft Draw and Microsoft Chart components in Frontpage 2000 and 2002 as images, Microsoft Draw can use in customizing Frontpage the menu in PrestaShop.
- Create MS Draw and Chart objects and insert them in IMAGE FORMAT!
- Save and Re-Edit them in their native MSDraw or MSChart program even though its an image!
- Use WordArt quickly and easily from Frontpage 2000!
- Convert Frontpage 2002 Draw Objects to Images quickly and easily.
- Add Cross Browser Background Music
- Totally awesome MP3 streaming thanks to cross browser compatible Flash MP3 Players.
- Implement Interactive Sounds On Standard Images In Your Document.
FrontFX XZAmp, by XZAKT Media, is the easy way to add cross browser audio content to your web pages with Microsoft Frontpage 2000/2002.
Bringing sound to sites has never been easier, with support for Cross Browser Compatible Background Music, MIDI Music Selectors (IE), Flash Based Sound on Image Events Such as Mousovers (IE) and now Cross Browser MP3 streaming thanks to cleverly designed Flash MP3 Players (built in and others importable).
Have you ever wanted to check all the images in your FrontPage web to ensure that there are no broken images ? The process of check all image in your FrontPage is so easy, you can use migrating from Frontpage to expression web.
The FrontFX ET Image Reporter (created through ideas thanks to Ernie Taylor and AnyFrontPage Bytes EZine) will do just that!
- Easy to Use!
Just click the report and let the software start processing all the pages in your web for you.
- Save Headaches!
With a simple to read report with affected pages and images listed there will be no more headaches having to check each and every page manually for missing images.
- Add To “ToDo” Tasks!
For disk based webs, the FrontFX ET Image Reporter can add all affected pages/images to your Task list of things to do!
FrontFX Screen Grab is a simply but very useful Frontpage 2000/2002 Addin that allows you to capture (Grab) the screen, a window or even just a section of the screen. Simply set your Hot key and its ready to grab!
Grab Full Screen
Grab individual Windows
Grab just an area of the screen!
Inserts straight to Frontpage!
No more switching back and forth to “paint” programs and copy and pasting from them!
A two in one product! Not only browse your Internet Explorer Cache and insert images and SWF (Flash) Files directly into your web page, but modify them with a collection of brilliant image effects! No more switching to expensive “paint” programs to run effects on images!
FrontFX MasterPics brings image
effects directly to Frontpage!.
- Modify Images with awesome effects within Frontpage!
- Make normal buttons effects, round button effects, drop shadows, deform images, color effects and more!
- Browse your IE Cache and insert images and SWF (Flash) files directly from your cache in a few simple clicks.
- No more switching to expensive “paint” programs to carry out image effects!.
Over 30 Image Effects
In The This Release!
|+ Browse your IE cache and insert images and
Flash files thanks to CacheMate! All in one!
Bringing sites to life has never been easier, through built in customizable buttons, sounds, introduction movies, banners/headings, or bedazzling clipart. A simply click, and change of properties saves hours of painstaking development (XZAKT Media has done the work for you!)
FrontFX FrontFlash, by XZAKT Media, is the easy and cost effective way to add Macromedia Flash™ content to your web pages with Microsoft Frontpage 2000/2002™.
Easy to use for the Beginners yet powerful and time saving enough for even Experienced Users to ensure they have as a part of their development toolbox.
Save Time, Save Money, Save Headaches!
Add customized Macromedia Flash content without owning Macromedia Flash!
Insert interactive buttons, add sound, wow your web visitors with a few simple clicks!
Implement Interactive Sounds On Standard (Non Flash) Images In Your Document.
Download and Import more useable content to expand your resources. (Registered Users Only)
So Many Scripts, and then some!
FrontFX Tools+2 is the second in the FrontFX Tool+ series that is to be released throughout 2003. This edition focuses on Forms and includes
several tools for enhancing your online forms.
(Yep! Over 60 FORM based components – from Navigation
through to Download Calculators and more!)
Click Here For The Full Listing Of This Release’s Components
New Field Manager With Additional Field Effects!
(Limit text entry, add highlighting styles and more!)
Quickly Remove Forms/Form Parts (such as just text fields)
Easy To Use Interface.
Save Favourite Forms For ReUse In Other Pages.
Some Weird Effects!
And there is much more!